Hi and Happy New Year! I promised you guys this recipe, Mrs. Metz’ most awesome and shared recipe, Cream of Crab Soup, about 6 months ago and now, finally, DRUM ROLL PLEASE. I am up at the crack of dawn posting this recipe for you to make before winter is over and cream soups become too hot and heavy for spring. Or summer. You know it’s coming!!!!😎🤗
This recipe makes a small batch, so most of us just go ahead and make a double. It reheats very well IF you have leftovers and it just begs for a batch of homemade rolls. Dooooo it.
The soup is decadent, thick, creamy and has that traditional Maryland Old Bay flavor, which makes it over-the-top delicious. Add more Old Bay to season the soup. . . as much as your family can handle. 🔥
This recipe is so easy, you can make it anytime!!! It doesn’t even have to be a special occasion, and it’s also perfect to make ahead and reheat, just stir frequently to keep from scorching. I sometimes also reheat in the crockpot. It’s also perfect to freeze and thaw in the fridge for some meal planning! I love being able to make a great version of my favorite soup at home!!!
Thanks for the awesome recipe, Mrs. Metz!!!
Post your pics and hashtag #fourmileridge!!!!
The Best Cream of Crab Soup
Thick, rich and decadent, this Cream of Crab Soup is better than any you'll get at a restaurant. It is so simple to make, you won't need to save this recipe for special occasions.
- butter - 6 Tbsp
- all-purpose flour - 1/2 cup plus 1 Tbsp
- half and half - 4 cups
- chicken broth - 1 cup
- Old Bay Seasoning - 1 Tbsp
- salt - 1/2 tsp
- fresh chives, diced fine - 1 Tbsp
- fresh flat leaf parsley, diced fine - 1 Tbsp
- crab meat: jumbo lump, lump or claw - 1 lb, picked for shells
- Melt the butter without browning, in a pot with a heavy bottom. I use my oval French oven.
- Add the flour and whisk to make a smooth roux.
- Pour in the half and half while whisking and continue whisking until thickened and smooth.
- Add the chicken broth, then the remaining ingredients.
- Simmer until serving time or pour into a crockpot on low to keep warm.