We are finally kissing this long and oh-so cold winter good bye! No big blizzards, a little ice and 11 (I think!) snow days later, I’m ready to celebrate the coming of spring! This last round of bad weather has made me crabby (just kidding)(I love snow days!): Maryland Crab Soup, that is. Well, actually, I was inspired to make Portobello mushrooms stuffed with crab, but Sid wanted Maryland Crab Soup, so I caved. Sigh*
Most of the seafood dishes I make are very easy. When you find crab meat on sale, stock up. This soup takes about an hour, but most of my other crab dishes take very little prep or cooking time!
Summer is coming, and the flavor of the Old Bay in this soup will take you back to sunshine and swimming!
Don’t worry, Be crabby . . .
This recipe can feed a crowd! Makes about 2 gallons! Feel free to use fresh or frozen veggies, too. Just adjust the cooking time if necessary!
- Prep Time : 15 minutes
- Cook Time : 45 minutes
- Yield : 2 gallons
- Allergens : shellfish
- butter - 2 - 3 Tbs
- peeled and sliced fresh carrots - 5 large
- fresh garlic - 2 cloves, minced
- organic chicken stock or broth - 48 oz box
- organic beef stock or broth - 32 oz box
- crushed tomatoes - 1 - 28 oz can
- diced tomatoes - 2 - 15 oz cans
- tomato sauce - 1 - 15 oz can
- corn - 1 - 15 oz can
- green beans - 1 - 15 oz can
- lima beans - 1 bag frozen
- peas - 1 - 15 oz can
- potatoes - about 8 medium size, peeled and diced
- fresh cabbage - 1 - 2 cups, chopped
- Old Bay Seasoning - 3 - 5 Tbs, to taste
- Worcestershire sauce - 3 - 5 dashes
- sugar - 3 Tbs - to taste
- pepper - to taste
- hot sauce - 3 - 5 dashes
Melt butter in a large pot, stir in the carrots and cook for about 5 - 10 minutes, add garlic and stir til fragrant. Pour in some of the chicken stock and scrape the bottom, loosening any garlic and brown butter. Add the rest of the stock, the tomatoes and the rest of the veggies. If using cans, drain the veggies. Cook on low/medium for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the seasonings and the sugar, tasting after each addition. The soup is done when all the veggies are tender. Finally, add the crab meat. Let cook for 5- 10 minutes more; delicious served with crusty bread.