Hooray for the holidays and make-ahead breakfast foods!
A Bailey family tradition for many years, I make this Egg Strata on Christmas Eve. On Christmas morning, I set it out on the counter and bring it to room temp, then place it in a 350 degree oven for about 35 – 45 minutes.
It’s also completely acceptable to add lightly sautéed veggies – peppers, onions, mushrooms. Like so many of the best foods in life – it’s easy and cheesy!
I highly recommend using a toss away foil pan to minimize Christmas day dishwashing!!! A big cast iron skillet also works very well for this dish and makes an amazing brown crust and beautiful presentation.
First, cube or tear up about 12 pieces of bread – buns, wheat or white – doesn’t matter. I get great results using about 3/4 of a loaf of bakery French bread that’s a couple days old.
Brown a pound of good quality, spicy sausage. A note about sausage . . . good quality sausage is not overly greasy and it does not have a red color when cooked or a chewy texture. Most of the flavor from the dish comes from the sausage. Choose a sharp cheese that isn’t crumbly when shredded – I used Cracker Barrel extra sharp, which shreds nicely and tastes great with the sausage. If your family doesn’t care for sausage or spice (What!???) or if you have leftover ham – that’s what the original recipe calls for! So sub ham if you like!
Pour the egg mixture over the top, evenly, then cover and refrigerate overnight. Breakfast is ready! We love Christmas Egg Strata with hot sauce.
No greasy egg splatters, slaving over a hot stove on Christmas Day. Get out of the kitchen . . . have a seat, a cuppa Joe and relax on Christmas day . . . AND feed an army!
This make-ahead breakfast dish will get you out of the kitchen on Christmas morning. Savory and a bit on the spicy side, this egg dish will feed an army of hungry family and friends. Enjoy!
- Spray a 13 x 9 pan or large cast iron skillet with olive oil spray.
- Place a pound of spicy, hot, loose sausage in a cast iron skillet and brown.
- Cube the bread and toss it into the bottom of the greased pan.
- Shred the cheese.
- Once the sausage is brown, distribute it evenly over the bread, top with the shredded cheese.
- Beat the eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper together, then pour over the bread, meat and cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate.
- Take the Egg Strata out of the fridge an hour before serving time. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Allow it to sit on the counter for 20 minutes, then place in the oven for 35 - 45 minutes.