This recipe hails, once again, from my Old Depot Days. I’ve been making this delicious soup for a very very long time. You will love it. Your family will love it. Why, you say?
It’s because it is so creamy, dreamy and delicious. It reheats very well and will warm your tummy and make you dream of turtleneck sweaters, fireplaces, fall festivals and falling leaves in riots of colors. Aw….
First peel and dice about 8 medium/large potatoes and soak them a bit, rinse a couple times.
Put them on to boil for about 30 – 40 minutes, until fork tender. While they are cooking, dice an onion, about a cup of carrots and a cup of celery.
Saute these veggies in 1/2 cup of butter until tender in the bottom of a large French oven, covering for the last 5 minutes or so to soften the carrots.
Mix about 2/3 of a cup of all-purpose flour into the veggie/butter mix and cook the flour taste out, for about 5 minutes. Stir constantly.
Add about 2 cups of chicken stock to the pot and stir for about 10 minutes, loosening all of the brown veggie bits and flour from the bottom. Then add 3 – 4 cups of milk and 3 – 4 cups of half and half. Slowly bring to a boil, the mixture should thicken. Add the drained potatoes, salt and pepper. Cube about 1/2 cup of Velveeta and add it to the soup and melt, or sprinkle with shredded sharp before serving. Top with bacon, sour cream and chives.
Warm, tasty and so very fall, this is a perfect Creamy Potato Soup.
This Creamy Potato Soup recipe is classic. Warm, creamy and absolutely delish, you will be forced to dream of crisp cool fall days, chilly nights, blankies and fireplaces. Cozy.
- medium/large potatoes - 8, diced small/medium cubes
- onion - 1 large, diced
- celery - 1 cup, diced
- carrots - 1 cup, diced
- butter - one stick or 1/2 cup
- all-purpose flour - 2/3 cup
- chicken stock - 2 cups
- milk - 3 - 4 cups
- half and half - 3 - 4 cups
- salt - 1 Tbsp
- pepper - 2 tsp, to taste
- velveeta, optional - 1/2 cup cubed
- shredded sharp - optional, for garnish
- browned bacon pieces - optional, for garnish
- sour cream and chives - optional, for garnish
- Peel and dice 8 medium to large potatoes rather small. Rinse and bring to a boil. Cook for about 30 - 45 minutes or until fork tender.
- Dice onion, carrots and celery, rather small.
- Melt a stick of butter in the bottom of a French oven and saute the veggies until tender. Cover the French oven for the last 5 minutes or so to soften the carrots.
- Add 2/3 of a cup of flour to the veggies and butter mixture. Stir for about 5 minutes to get rid of the flour taste.
- Add the chicken stock to the French oven and scrape the sides and bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen all of the flour and browned bits of veggies. Cook for about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the milk and half n half to the pot. Slowly bring to a boil, stirring frequently. The soup should begin to thicken. Add the drained potatoes to the French oven. Then add the salt (be cautious with the salt - how much you use depends on the brand of chicken broth and whether you're adding Velveeta, which is very salty) and pepper to taste.
- If desired, add cubed chunks of Velveeta and melt. Top with shredded sharp, browned bacon pieces, sour cream and chives before serving.