Opening a can = being capable of making this soup. Oh. And owning a crockpot.
Hello to the rainiest summer ever. Joss and I sit, looking out the window, watching the rain fall. The second it stops, we race out the door, dry the bounce house out, play in the sand and ride her trike bike around the deck twice. Then it starts raining again.
Since this summer has been so conducive to cooking inside, I have a sad confession to make. I made soup today. It’s good, but sad.
Chicken Tortilla Soup is easy to toss together in the slow cooker. Takes 4 – 5 hours on high or 7 – 8 hours on low, unless I’m cooking the black beans from scratch. Save this recipe for winter. Hopefully, I won’t make it again til then!
Chicken Tortilla Soup is a delicious slow cooker soup that can be tossed together in minutes and cooks all day. Tastes great with shredded cheese, sour cream, a sprinkle of cilantro and crushed Doritoes!
- Prep Time : 10 minutes
- Yield : for a family
- boneless, skinless chicken breasts - 2
- organic chicken stock or broth - 4 - 6 cups
- organic crushed tomatoes - 1 - 28 oz can (large)
- Ro-tel diced tomatoes and chilis - 1 - 10 oz can
- diced tomatoes - 1 - 10 oz can
- black beans - 2 - 15.5 oz cans or homemade (about 3 cups)
- tomato sauce - 1 - 10 oz can
- corn - 1 - 14.5 oz can
- ground black pepper - 1/2 tsp
- sugar - 6 Tbsp
- dark chili powder - 3 Tbsp
- cumin - 2 Tbsp
- salt - 1 tsp
- chopped cilantro, sour cream, shredded cheese and crushed Doritoes - for garnish
- masa (corn flour) - 1/2 cup, whisked with 1 cup of water
Drain and rinse the beans and corn. Put the beans and corn, along with all other ingredients, in the slow cooker or Crockpot. Turn on low for 7 - 8 hours or on high for 4 - 5 hours. Shred the chicken before serving.
About 1/2 hour before serving, whisk about 1/2 cup of masa with 1 cup of water and add to thicken and add corn flavor to the Chicken Tortilla Soup.
Garnish with cheese, sour cream, chopped cilantro and crushed Doritoes.