Well, Peeps, this week just about killt (Avilton slang for killed) me.
Ya see, about 5 months ago I had a text inquiring about doing a wedding cake and cupcakes and at the time it seemed like a superb idea. I’d be off for the summer . . . it would be only a two tiered cake . . . there would be like a handful of people . . . I said, “Self, this seems like a great opportunity, being off for the summer and all that . . . ” So this is how it unfolded:
- I was shackled to the oven for 3 days straight-
- Oven went wonky
- Had to remake a high-dollar QUADRUPLE batch of chocolate cupcakes twice!!!
- It was hotter than the hubs of hell and we have central air
- Joss trashed the house
- We are going camping at Hersheypark on Sunday
- 18 dozen cupcakes
- handmade gum paste roses
- Joss had an ice cream sandwich for dinner, I had pull and peel licorice and a cupcake
- Hand gluing silver dragees til I was about to crack
- Even my aches have pains
But I got ‘er done, peeps, and I lived to continue trashing the kitchen this morning!!! 😳
In April Sid Turner and I went to NYC for a weekend of foodie fun and I met Jessica Merchant from “How Sweet It Is” a blogger that I have followed for ever. She is totally beautiful and her photography is GORGEOUS and of course her meet and greet was at Mackenzie-Childs . . . so add in that I haven’t been to NYC since JT was born, and you know I HAD to go.
So I bought her cookbook Seriously Delish and she signed it for me and ever since then I’ve been reading that cookbook and Jessica’s foodie thoughts are completely out-of-the-box. She is nothing short of genius.
See how excited? It’s like we’re BFFs already. Never mind that when I meet someone even remotely famous my brain goes completely dead. Meanwhile she and Sid are taking selfies (I could smack him).
Plus this week she came out with her meal planning website, Sweet Peas Meals . . . see it’s a cross between How Sweet Eats and another blogger Two Peas and Their Pod, how awesome is that? Count me in on that deal! Source of limitless recipes and meal ideas! Plus the most beautiful photography my eyes have ever seen. Except for this picture. 👇🏼 It is the MOST beautiful.
Now, add those Fourmile Ridge freshly hand-picked blueberries (Go, JOSSY), my undeniable urge to make a dish from Seriously Delish, and you will know how we came to this point. Even for people who aren’t really fans of oatmeal, this takes the gushy texture factor away and leaves you with a ton of yum.
And check out the antique Griswold little baking dish, perfect for a small batch.
Recipe adapted from “Baked Black Raspberry Oatmeal with a Brown Butter Drizzle” in Jessica Merchant’s Seriously Delish.
An absolutely amazing breakfast or dessert (just add ice cream), this Baked Oatmeal is phenom!!! Also, don't hesitate to make it with other fruit, like peaches, cherries, and Jessica even suggests mashing up a banana for added flave.
- Old fashioned rolled oats - 1 1 /2 cups
- brown sugar - 1/2 cup loosely packed
- baking powder - 1 tsp
- ground cinnamon - 1 tsp
- salt - pinch
- pecans - 1/4 cup, chopped
- coconut milk - 1/2 cup, plus more for drizzle
- applesauce - 1/4 cup
- 3 Tbs butter - 1 Tbs, melted and 2 Tbs browned, for drizzle
- egg - 1 large, lightly beaten
- vanilla - 1 tsp
- blueberries - 2/3 cup
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a small oven proof dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Mix the oats, brown sugar, pecans, baking powder, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl.
- Mix the coconut milk, applesauce, 1 Tbs of melted butter, egg and vanilla in a separate bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir, then gently fold in the blueberries.
- Bake for 35 minutes, then drizzle each serving with reserved coconut milk and brown butter.